Monday, May 3, 2010

Beneigts (ben-YAYS)

I work in a restaurant that unfortunately serves brunch.  Brunch is the seventh circle of hell in a normal restaurant.  It is awful.  Largely it is due to the patrons that enjoy Sunday brunch.  Most are normal, but the restaurant I work in is casual-fine dining so since brunch is the cheap meal, we also get everyone who can't afford to eat there for any other meal.

I had a table of seven one brunch who, when I approached the table with my cheery greeting, looked at me as if I had three heads.  I proceeded to ask them for their drink order, to which they mostly replied "water".  I brought their drinks and took their order.  The woman on the end had ordered eggs benedict, and then asked me for "a side of bah-nayz".  I didn't understand her, so I repeated back, "a side of bearnaise?" and she stared at me blankly so I chose not to explain the difference between hollandaise and bearnaise.  I brought their food out and they said everything looked fine (I brought her side of bearnaise too).  When I checked back a few minutes later, she asked me for the bah-nayz and I pointed to the bearnaise, saying "bearnaise sauce right?" to which she said "no, BAH-NAYZ".  I looked around the table for some help understanding and it hit me.  "Oh, you'd like an order of BENEIGTS! I'll have those right out for you".  They left me four dollars on eighty-five.  Morons.  People, if you don't know how to say something, point at the menu, or maybe describe what you want.  As servers, we're pretty awesome, but we don't read minds, and you can't assume I've ever had someone asking for bah-nayz before when they meant beneigts.

No comments:

Post a Comment